A late summer fruit rum based cocktail that is made in a jug which makes the easiest party cocktail to enjoy with friends.
The end of summer comes suddenly, one minute we are basking in the glorious sunshine and the next there’s a sudden cold snap and the autumn scents the air. However, we’ve got a few more weeks before we fully submit to the new season. So we are making the most of it by having as many beach hut visits and late afternoon strolls as possible.
We are hosting a party soon and I want to great each guest with a cocktail but the thought of making individual drinks every time is daunting. To keep it easy I decided we needed a cocktail we could make in a jug without all the fiddly individual measuring out but not too strong to make our guests giggly and dancing before 9pm; after is fine.
As the Season Changes …
This recipe can easily be served with blackberries and pomegranate seeds as autumn gathers pace or even once summer is back with us then perhaps strawberries and apple slices.
- 2 large sprigs fresh basil and mint
- 500ml water
- 250g water
- Ice cubes
- 100ml golden rum
- 50ml orange liqueur
- Juice of a lemon
- Juice of a lime
- 1 bottle of sparkling white wine, chilled
- 1 peach, sliced
- 225g rapberries
- First make a light syrup by placing the basil and mint in a saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 5 minutes. Remove the herbs and then stir in the sugar. Place in a jug and chill in fridge until needed.
- In a jug, place a handful of ice cubes and pour in the rum, orange lique, strained lemon and lime juice and finally the sparkling wine. Stir.
- Top with more ice and the fruit.
Should you wish to try out other jug cocktail here’s an another easy crowd pleaser – A Frosé