Weekend breakfasts are cherished in our house. After a busy week, we love nothing better than lazy late feasts where we can catch up with each other and read the odd magazine or newspaper before the jobs of the day loom large and we can put them off no longer.
If we can have our breakfast/brunch down at the beach hut then we are all set up for day which is what we did this weekend. However, it was freezing cold and quite rightly our boys resisted and remained tucked up in their beds until we returned (actually they are big grown up boys and mornings have become the enemy).
This easy egg filled bagel recipe only uses one pan so is perfect for a camping trip, or at a festival or even a late-night snack.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more if needed
- 6 rashers smoked back bacon
- 2 bagels, split in half
- 2 eggs
- Chilli jam
- 100g Cream cheese
- Fry the bacon and cook to your liking. Either just done or crispy then set aside.
- In the same pan, place the bottom part in the frying pan and toast for about a minute, soaking up those bacon juices as they cook then remove and replace with the top parts.
- Place to one side and you may need to add more oil at this point as you crack an egg into each hole and once the egg white has become opaque cover with a lid and turn off the heat. They will set in the residual heat.
- If you haven’t got a lid for your frying pan then use a large upturned dish or saucepan. Something that will allow a bit of space so you don’t squish those eggs.
- While the eggs are cooking assemble the bagel sandwich so you are ready to go as soon as those eggs are cooked. Spread the bottom bagel half with some chill jam, add a generous helping of cream cheese, some watercress leaves and then the cooked bacon.
- Place the egg filled top half on to top and enjoy.
Here’s my YouTube video on how to make this dish. It may not be pretty but it seriously tasty.
John in with these fabulous people: